Friday, July 18, 2008

Where Does He Get Those WONDERFUL Toys??

It is the opening weekend of "The Dark Knight" and with all of the fuss being made over The Joker in this edition it brings me back to the first series of Batman films when the original Joker (played by Jack Nicholson) watches Batman in awe and exclaims "Where DOES he get those wonderful toys?" I remember the whole movie theatre being cut up over that statement.

We are often told in our pursuit of education that keeping information in a journal or diary is a great way to view your progression as you uncover new information. For me it has always been about how to use mobile technology in the field of education. We often see how technology can benefit students but what about their teachers? How can technology help the teacher in the classroom so that there is more time to spend with students and concentrate on the learning.

There actually is an abundance of technology out there - some free and some expensive - that can help with making one's life easier. I have often been frustrated when looking for information that would make my job easier (yes, I am a teacher) only to find that no one has really documented how to do that. Hopefully, this blog will begin to fill in that hole.

I am what one would call an "early adopter". I've always been fascinated by different technologies. I find that even when sitting in the offices of different professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.) I am always looking at what software or gadgets that they are using and how that would apply to my profession. Geek? Absolutely!

I became a very early adopter of Personal Digital Assistants, tablet PCs, web 2.0 programs, and the list goes on. In each case it has saved me time and it has also taken up so much time because as with anything new you have to spend the time learning to make it work for you.

Over the next few posts I will begin to document how I have used this modern technology in my teaching practice. Again, for now, it is more of a "what can technology do for YOU" rather than your students. However, there will be the inevitable cross-over as what is good for the teacher usually benefits the student.

No comments: