Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Apple Tablet Anyone?

The other day I was lamenting the fact that Apple did not yet give the ability to connect a keyboard to an iPhone or iPod Touch. In I suppose that would be like putting the chicken before the egg. You need strong office style tools to get full use from a keyboard.

This got me to thinking - why has Apple not released a Macbook tablet? For those who do not understand what a tablet is simply take your existing laptop and add the ability to draw and write on the screen with a pen. It allows for a more natural means of inputting information and allows for changes in current software that makes data entry more natural. I currently own a HP TC1100 Tablet PC. I remember the first day that I used it (4 years ago..!) and my students didn't even realize that I had a computer in my hands. They thought it was a binder. That's nice because the technology was not forming a barrier between the students and myself.

At my school we use Apple computers exclusively. It has taken awhile to get used to them but the Macbooks really are nice to have. I never seem to worry about spyware or viruses - my school network catches incoming bad stuff and at home I just haven't experienced any problems. While I like Office 2007 on the PC better, the Office 2004 version that I use on the Mac works just fine. The iLife suite of applications is absolutely awesome and easy to use as well.

So, Apple, how about combining the best of my worlds? Let's come out with an Apple tablet! Oh, and if you're thinking of a giant size "Macbook Touch" let's just make sure you have an active digitizer in there as well.

No comments: